Wednesday, November 23, 2005

For All Twenty-Two







Twenty-two people. It feels colossal. That's my immediate family. Nope, that's not a typo. I'm not talking about extended. Not even grandparents. This is just my parents, siblings, and their wives and kids. And next to salvation, I count them to be my greatest blessing this Thanksgiving.

What is it that you are thankful for? Pause and praise God for His goodness this Thanksgiving. But don't stop there. Praise Him each and every day. Try making a running journal of your praises. Then in times of trial, you will be reminded of God's goodness in your life. This is my cyber-journal of my praises for today. You see them pictured above.

I am thankful for my oldest brother Mark, his wife Carol and their three girls: Kirsten, Brittney, and Lindsey. Mark has taught me the importance of knowing what I believe and being able to defend my beliefs.

I am thankful for my second oldest brother Randy, his wife Lori, and their daughter Joy and son Matthew. Randy has taught me how to love people regardless of who they are or what they have--simply because they are made in God's image.

I am thankful for my third oldest brother Brian, his wife Cyndi, and his four children: Breanna, Christopher, Jeremy, and Zachary. Brian has taught me what it means to have a life of service and he has revolutionized my life and philosophy of ministry. I am majoring in Christian Formation and Ministry largely because of his influence.

I am thankful for my brother Kevin, his wife Melissa, and their three children: Christina, Luke, and Rebecca. Kevin has taught me what it means to be a good listener, to show empathy and compassion, and to give of oneself. Thanks to him going out of his way each week, we have a place to meet for Come Thirsty. And not once has he complained.

And finally, I am thankful for my parents. I am who I am because of the way God has worked through them. If my dad had not sacrificed everything he had to send five children to Christian schools and my mom had not prayed daily for her children, my brothers and I would not have the relationship with Christ we now have. My dad has taught me the meaning of sacrifice and my mom has taught me what it means to rejoice when another is rejoicing and mourn when another is mourning. Together, they taught me how I have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

This is my family. They are my legacy, my heritage, and my greatest earthly joy. Thank you, my dear family, for teaching me how to love God. For you, I am eternally grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for my daughter, Jennifer. She has become a beautiful woman of God...one who puts God first in her life. She is an example even to her mother and dad! We are so proud of her! Thanks Jen for being our daughter and for the godly life you lead. You are a leader and one deserving of that title. God bless you in all of your future endeavors as you strive to live your life for Him. I love you so much!!