Saturday, December 15, 2007

Deflection


He had a rather strange diet. His meat was locusts. His sweet tooth was satisfied with wild honey. He wore a roughly woven robe made of camel hair with a leather belt bound around his waist. He was the voice of one calling in the wilderness, preparing the way for the Lord. He worshipped his Cousin, but not with an inappropriate hero worship. No, his exaltation went much deeper. He worshipped his Cousin as his Lord.

As I've been reading through the book of John, I have grown to respect John the Baptizer. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite biblical characters, though if I could have a conversation with him, he would undoubtedly shun any praise, deflecting all glory to Jesus Christ. This is precisely why I admire him.

I was eavesdropping on the discussion between John and his disciples in the latter half of John 3. John's baptizing like usual, but now someone else is sharing the waters near him. Everyone is leaving John in order to be baptized by this other man's disciples, and John's disciples are a little perplexed. "Hey John! Look whose disciples are baptizing! And look who everyone is choosing to go to instead of you!" He looks. It's his younger cousin. It's Jesus.

I think it's about to get tense and I should stop eavesdropping; it's quite rude really. But I can't help myself. I have to keep reading. What's John going to do? Will the green-eye of jealousy stare back at his disciples? Will his tone of voice change ever so slightly, vibrating with chords of envy and resentment?

John speaks such beautiful words, it leaves me speechless. He refuses to feel envy. He refuses to see himself as important in the light of the glory of God. He looks his disciples in the eye, but his irises are not green. He replies, "A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven" (Jn. 3:27). Then he reminds his disciples (and perhaps himself?) that they too bore witness that he said, "I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him" (v. 28). I wonder if he glances over at Christ, whose disciples are baptizing the crowds that were once John's own, and because he has once more made the choice to deflect the glory off of himself and onto the only One who is worthy, God blesses him with true joy and contentment and peace and love for his Savior. John continues, "The one who has the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. Therefore this joy of mine is now complete" (v. 29).

Scripture doesn't describe John's facial expressions, but I imagine that his face is glowing. His joy is complete! He understands that it is not about him; it's about God revealed in the person of Jesus Christ! He risked it all. He gave up fame and glory and mortified (as in killed) his pride. Then he utters some of the most challenging words in Scripture (or at least challenging to me personally and the sin issues with which I daily struggle). He proclaims, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (v. 30). This verse was chosen as our class verse my senior year of high school, and ever since then it has become my motto in life.

On my way to work yesterday, I prayed that God would show me throughout the day how I can make decisions that would reflect the truth in this verse. I asked, "How can I decrease more and more throughout the day?" "How can I point to God in everything that I do and make sure HE receives the glory?" I was humbled in my job. I couldn't get a volunteer team together last minute to do the "menial tasks" that I have been trained to pass off to others, so I spent my day re-stocking connection cards and pens in the back pockets of over 650 chairs at our West Campus facility. I was grumbling and complaining, and then God reminded me of the lesson he had taught me that morning. In this task, how could God be glorified and His greatness be manifested through me?

This morning, my alarm went off to the sound of the radio, which was playing, "To God Be the Glory!" Amen! And may Jesus Christ be exalted!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is why i place Christianity above all other religions and love Christ above all humanity or deity. It is such a crazy concept to this world to be HUMBLE and to SERVE and to consider others better than yourself. It is crazy and i love it.

This is why this message is such a good reminder and one we need constantly. It is not our first inclination to serve or be humble. It is not our first inclination to joyfully do our "menial" tasks.

thanks for the encouraging word.

Jennifer said...

This goes right along with yesterday's sermon. (I was at your church and I'll be there this coming weekend too visiting my brother's Sunday school class and the service). Liftin spoke on Christ using those who are humble for His purposes. As we've spoken about, it's not about success or achievements. He said some rather pointed statements to the educated, professional Wheaton audience listening!

I'm not sure if you were there, but in the church's library they gave out free copies of Ravi Zacharias' "Walking from East to West." It should be a great read!

Unknown said...

I actually wasn't there on Sunday. I used weather as an excuse (whether valid or not...) I talked with my older brother and he said it was a really good sermon. I was unaware your brother was teaching a sunday school class at CC. I should be there next Sunday.

Jennifer said...

My brother doesn't teach the Veritas class, but he coordinates it. Doug Moo, professor of New Testament at Wheaton, usually teaches. Apparently I will be at CC for the next two Sundays. Veritas isn't meeting this week after all, but I still want to come for the service. Then the following week I'll go to Veritas too. If you're interested in trying it out, I'll pass along more info. Hope to see you Sunday!