Thursday, November 29, 2007

Coexist?


For the past year or so, I've seen these bumper stickers pop up everywhere. White letters on a black background peacefully "suggest" that we simply "coexist."

Here's the key for decoding the message:
C- the symbol for Islam (those who call themselves Muslims)
O- the Wicca pentagram
E- the relativity formula for science
X- the symbol of Judaism (the star of David)
I- representing Buddhism (the "i" is dotted by the Karma Wheel)
S- the symbol for Taoism
T- the symbol for Christianity

What are people saying about this slogan? Check out some actual responses below:

Comment 1: "I bought it because I honestly believe that it's possible for many belief systems to coexist if they try and I think that more people need to see that."
Comment 2: "I put the sign on the rear bumper of my car.... The message is one I can subscribe to entirely, and I'm not worried that someone will take offense and ding my car over it."

Comment 3: "It makes me happy inside every time I look at this on the back of our car. Even my husband appreciates it!"

Brothers and sisters in Christ, let's go there ourselves. Put on your worldview lenses and strap on your seat belt. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

So, let's ask the same question. Why not just "coexist?" Is it possible for many belief systems to coexist if they try, as our first commentator suggests. Jesus says, "I am THE way and THE truth and THE life. No one comes to the Father EXCEPT through me" (John 14:6, emphasis mine). Now, I am not a Greek scholar, but I am quite certain that THE and EXCEPT are very exclusive terms. No, commentator one, we cannot "coexist if we try." The claims of Jesus do not allow for that.

What about the second comment? Does coexisting keep one religion from offending another? If the answer is yes, then we have to take the "t," representing the Christian cross, out of the formula. After all, "we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles" (I Corinthians 1:23). This is the "offense" of the gospel. The gospel illuminates our sinfulness and declares that Jesus Christ is Lord! Not Buddha. Not Mohamed. Not man's rational powers or intellectual superiority.

That leaves us with the third commentator. The message makes her happy; how can that be bad? It makes her happy because she does not have to deal with the hard truth that there is a (as in one) God. If there is a God, we are accountable to Him. If we are accountable to God, we can't live like we are God. And to many, that's a tragedy.

I have been very cynical and sarcastic and argumentative in this post. That only comes after great sorrow that my God (THE God) is being reduced to a "t" in a formula created by those whom He created. But I will not end cynical, because I think the third commentator has a point; it's simply misguided. I think it is about our joy. I think worshipping God as the Supreme Being brings us exceeding joy. Psalm 16:11 reads, "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Unless we know God, we cannot even begin to know joy.
I'm very dissatisfied with this post because the question of the supremacy and exclusivity of Jesus Christ deserves a much deeper reflection than I can give it in a brief post. Check out the books of authors who have devoted their lives to this study, and who can articulate themselves much better than I can. Check out Jesus Among Other gods by Ravi Zacharias or Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper. And whenever you see the "coexist" slogan, pray that the person bearing it will have his or her eyes opened to the supremacy and exclusivity of Jesus Christ and experience everlasting joy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've actually seen a few of those bumper stickers around Wheaton. One thing Ravi likes to say is, "If everything is true, then nothing is false." Instead of having an equality of all persons and a hierarchy of ideas, we now desire an equality of ideas and a hierarchy of people. What a sad telling commentary on our society.

I won't try to expand on your post b/c i think you made your point and i also agree that the exclusivity of Christ and Christianity deserves a more thorough response, but i do want to relay a "feeling" i've been getting lately. As i've been thinking over these spiritual things, mainly having our identity in Christ and what it REALLY means to "take up your cross", i've been bombarded by fear and anxiety.

The fear is, what happens after i get past these initial steps i know to take and then there is no one (physically here) that can take me further? The anxiety is, what will my family, friends and co-workers think when i seem to take "extreme" positions and we don't see "eye-to-eye" anymore?

It's interesting to me b/c it's not like i really have a chance of being martyred in 21st century America but i think that Satan has made the feeling of being ostracized from some people worse than death itself!

And i'm sorry, but living near Wheaton the seeming "church capital of the world" does not really answer all my questions on how a Christian should REALLY live in a pragmatic sense. I am unable to reconcile our incredible wealth with service in the Kingdom. Don't get me wrong, i believe i am incredibly fortunate and thank God for my upbringing and surroundings often, but what will i do with what i have is the question i'm trying to answer.

Thanks for the explanation on Korah's sons. I find it VERY interesting and never picked it up before.