Friday, November 30, 2007

A Welcome Dissonance...For Now


"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith" (Philippians 3:7-9)

My sophomore year at Wheaton Academy, I chose these as my life verses. Throughout my life, I have heard God singing them over me. "This is Truth," He says. "Walk in it!"

Last night, I had dinner with a group of Christians. Sitting around the table was a pastor and his wife, a ministry leader and her husband, a wife who led a large mom's group in a church, her husband who served on the equivalent of an elder board, and a woman who will be leading a mission trip this year. This was a group of people that should challenge each other in their faith and encourage each other to live out the principles represented in Philippians 3:7-9.

Midway through the evening, I started to grow uncomfortable. The conversation turned to movies. The pastor's wife commented on how much she loved violence in movies, and encouraged the leader of the church mom's group to watch a movie that had a few "questionable scenes" in addition to its violent content. She warned, "It isn't a movie I would watch with your mom or your husband's mom for that matter, but you should see it!"
I squirmed in my chair, noticeably uncomfortable. At what age do we become old enough to watch "adult situations" in movies? At what age do we become too old to watch the same scenes? Is there an age bracket when we become immune to the power of sin? Is there an age when no longer have to judge the things of this world as "rubbish compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus Christ our Lord?" My friends seem to think so.
I felt all alone in that moment, even though I was surrounded by fellow believers. I didn't agree with them or their opinions. We were singing different melodies, and in so doing, the resulting sound was dissonant and discordant. When we hear clashing notes, how our ears long to hear some sort of resolution! When we realize our friends are not going to change their tunes, we are tempted to change our own, just so we can hear something--anything--harmonious. But we know that would be wrong. We can't change our tune. We must live in the midst of dissonance and discordance, no matter how uncomfortable it is. That is what it means to lose all things for the sake of Christ. In singing a different melody, the one written by the Songwriter, I am in tune; the songs around me are out of tune.

But lest I become prideful and think that I have got it right and "those other people" are all wrong, let's re-examine Paul's words in Philippians 3:9: "...not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith." Righteousness does not come from me; I am sinful and depraved. Righteousness comes from God.

Taking it back to the song metaphor, the only One who can make dissonant melodies turn into beautiful harmonies is Jesus Christ. Only when He comes again--when every knee will bow and every tongue will confess--will we be able to take our fingers out of our ears and hear a beautiful song arising from every vocal chord. Only in that moment, will I, too, stop singing discordant tunes and harmonize with the Love Song for the Savior. I can't wait to hear that song!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to comment but i am swamped with homework so i might have to wait till monday. but i thought this was a GREAT post and i've also been thinking a lot about your response about us needing to find enjoyment in God in regular activities. i agree and think it's an important part of my maturity. Peace.

Jennifer said...

I understand! My weekend has been so busy. I probably won't have time to post another blog until Monday or Tuesday. Are you in seminary now? Where at?

This blog topic was in response to your comments on the fear and anxiety that comes when taking up your cross, and the feeling of alientation that accompanies that decision.

I'm glad we can mutually challenge each other through these blog posts and comments!

Anonymous said...

Yes i'm in seminary now at Liberty in Virginia. I'm taking the classes online so it feels like they double the reading and writing (even though i know they don't, i'm just a little rusty). ok back to break, then books.

Jennifer said...

That's great! Three of my four brothers graduated from Liberty, one of whom graduated from Liberty's seminary. Growing up, it was my home away from home. What are your plans after graduation? I'll be praying for you with your studies. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I really am not sure yet specifically. I guess ultimately I want to be a Pastoral Counselor somewhere in the U.S. I think my calling is to correct false doctrine and teaching in America and also uncover (and share with others) what it TRULY means to follow Christ. But i'm really counting on God to give me more direction during this MDiv process, so i'm glad it'll take 4-5 years =).

Jennifer said...

We're headed down the same path--not with Pastoral Counseling, but I feel a very strong call to serve the American church through discipleship and pouring into the lives of young women in the church.

It breaks my heart how much the Church has strayed from her First Love in pursuit of an entertainment-driven, egocentric model of a "church" (a.k.a.: social club.) I know, I'm speaking in broad generalizations and there are always many exceptions. But still...

This has been such a discouraging weekend for me in light of this (which may inspire all of next week's blogs!); even at church today my heart was burdened and pained. I know God wants to use me, but I'm struggling with understanding the balance between the Holy Spirit's role (as the only One who can change hearts) and my role (to be used as His vessel and be an obedient, hard-working servant). I've been wrestling with this all afternoon.

Okay, just needed to vent my spiritual burdens. :)