Tuesday, November 20, 2007

For Our Joy


My friend Jackie and I shared a meal together at Bennigans tonight. Throughout the evening, our waiter seemed particularly attentive. There was something on his mind that he wasn't voicing. Finally, he looked at me and burst out, "I think I've seen you here before. And every time you come in, you're always smiling! Whatever you're taking, I want it!"

In John 15:9-11, Jesus states, "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in His love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." Jesus is the source of our joy. Without Christ, our joy is incomplete. We may be happy. Anything material blessing can bring happiness, but only Christ can bring complete joy. If we are Christians and if the Holy Spirit is reigning in us, then we must be characterized by our joy.

Do you realize that our joy is the result of glorifying God? That boggles my mind. All that we have is from God and for God. He gives us the ability to give Himself praise. We are simply vessels; not the source. And while we are not the source, WE receive the blessing--joy! In his devotional booklet For Your Joy, John Piper writes, "...we were made to experience full and lasting happiness from seeing and savoring the glory of God. If our best joy comes from something less, we are idolaters and God is dishonored. He created us in such a way that his glory is displayed through our joy in it. The gospel of Christ is the good news that at the cost of his Son's life, God has done everything necessary to enthrall us with what will make us eternally and ever-increasingly happy, namely, himself."

Tonight, I resolved to never let a moment pass to share about my faith when God opens up the door. And for the past few months, God has opened many doors! Too often, I am afraid that I will offend the name of Christ when I speak out--that I will say the wrong thing and make Christ look ridiculous because of my feeble answer. I am afraid that I will not articulate the gospel message with the clarity and beauty it deserves. I am afraid that I will look foolish for believing in a God that I cannot see or hear or touch, and that I will not be able to explain the reason for my faith. I so quickly forget that the only reason I exist is to declare the gospel!

Be quick to tell those around you about your joy. Point them to the Source. Seek out moments when Christ can enter your conversations. And "may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" (Rom. 15:13).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like an "8-point" Calvinist, lol. No, it's good. I agree with your statements about joy. That's one thing lacking in my spiritual walk, I don't consistently have a joy that manifests itself physically. And i understand the difference between happiness and joy and i know that joy can often be internal but i think the magnitude of God's Glory is such that when someone truly approaches it, joy manifests itself physically not just internally (best example being Moses' face needing a veil).

And yes, it's hard to share your faith. So many doubts flood our mind, my biggest being "who am i?" or "do i have ALL the answers to answer any possible question they might come up with?"

I don't know what else to day =)...it's just hard. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Jennifer said...

Oh no, not 8-points, but probably a 7-point Calvinist. ;) Actually, I am just thrilled with any theology that propagates a high view of God and exalts His supremacy over all things.

Moses' face needing a veil is an interesting example; I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for raising it. It's true that our very countenance is affected by being in the presence of God!

It's so difficult at times to share our faith when I feel MY answers are so insufficient. I feel like God is challenging me to simply be obedient and open my mouth, then rely on HIS Spirit to grace my tongue with His message. Personally speaking, I think I give myself way too much credit, thinking it all relies on me, when really, it's up to God to change a heart. I just have to be that vessel. And what a privilege that is!

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebrating the Giver of all good gifts (including the gift of your new little niece)! :)

Anonymous said...

"day" = "say" in my last post.

Yes, Charlotte is a cutie. It's scary to hold her soft head but my sister does a good job.

Thanksgiving was good even without the ham and turkey (recently switched to vegetarian). It just meant more sweet potatoes and green bean casserole.

Jennifer said...

You should try the Morningstar Farms veggie burgers. I suppose it wouldn't replace ham and turkey on Thanksgiving, but they have enabled me to stay away from red meat for the past five years!